A sales order is a document that confirms the terms of a transaction between you and your customer. This document is usually generated in response to a customer purchase order and it details the quantity, price, delivery time frame among other order information.
You can send this document to the customer or use it solely for internal order processing purposes.
Creating a sales order
To create a new sales order,
Create a sales order
- In the main menu, go to Sales, then click on Sales Order.
- In the Sales Order list, click on the (+) Button and then on New Document.
- Choose the customer, currency, issued and expiration dates, the document’s status, and the employee or salesperson.
- Click on show more fields and then type in the Purchase Order (PO#)
- In the Details section, there are 4 tabs: Content, Logistics, Terms, and Files.
When we choose a customer, Cashflow automatically brings all his individual and group settings to the document.
If you choose a foreign currency, a field will appear to set the currency rate. The currency rate is set automatically, but you can change this if you like. If you haven’t set additional currencies, you can go to Settings > Modules > Accounting > Multi-currencies.
Content Tab – Sales Order Items
- Click on the Content Tab,
- Choose the Item (Product or Service) and set the quantity. The description, price, and tax will be filled in automatically.
- To add new items, click on the (+ Item) Button below the list and Repeat Step 2.
- To change the order of the items, hold-click the dots icon, drag up or down, and drop it in the order you wish to.
- To remove an item from the list, click on the trash can icon on the right.
Quick Note: Keep in mind that if you work with price lists, the item price will depend on the price list defined to the customer or the group this customer belongs to.
To set discounts,
- Click on Discount in the sales order total section.
- Choose Percent (%) or Fixed Amount ($) from the options list.
- Click on the discount field and type in the percent or amount.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
Quick Note: To change the discount type, click on “Discount” and choose Percent (%) or Fixed Amount ($) from the discount type options list.
When choosing a discount type, a percent (%) or an amount ($) sign is added to the Discount label depending on which type you selected.
Adding Additional Charges
To add additional charges to an sales order,
- Click on the (+) Button,
- Choose the Category from the list,
- Set the Amount.
Additional charges are charges that are not part of the sale, like shipping and handling.
Since these additional charges are transferred to your customer and not considered income or part of your cost of goods sold (COGS), they are not included in the tax calculation.
We can add additional charge categories by going to Settings > Modules > Sales > Additional Charges.
Setting shipping and billing address
To set the shipping type, billing, and shipping addresses,
- Click on the Logistics Tab.
- Set Shipping Type, select Shipping Address and Billing Address.
We can add our shipping types and providers by going to Setting > Modules > Inventory > Shipping Types. There you can add, for example, FedEx, FedEx Overnight, USPS, UPS, and any other you wish to add.
The billing and shipping address come from the customer addresses in the customer form. If you need to add a new address, go to Masters > Customers, edit the customers and add the new address in the address tab.
To set the payment terms,
- Click on the Terms Tab.
- Select the Payment Terms.
- Optionally set any payment Notes.
Uploading and attaching files
To upload and attach any supporting files,
- Click on the Files Tab.
- Click on the browse button.
- Select the files to upload and click on Open.
- Once done, click on Close.
These files will be attached to the document and stored in the cloud. You can view all uploaded documents by going to Tools > Files on the main menu.
Once you’ve completed creating the sales order, click on Save.
Sales Order Actions Menu
To view the available actions,
Sales Order Actions
In the Sales Order list, click con the Action Menu for any sales order.
- Preview: Opens a printable version of the document.
- Duplicate: Makes a duplicate copy of the document.
- Edit: Updates document information.
- History: Displays the transaction history log.
- Copy to Invoice: Copies the sales order information to a new invoice.
- Copy to Dispatch: Copies the sales order information to a new inventory dispatch document for delivery.
- Upload File: Option to upload and attach a file.
- Audit: Displays a list of changes made to the document.
- Send email: Opens a window to send an email with a PDF version of the document.
- Cancel document: Changes the document’s status to cancel.