The primary goal of a business is to make money, for this, you need to invoice your customers. An invoice records a sales transaction and is a way to bill your customers for their purchases.
To create an invoice,
Create an invoice
- In the main menu, go to Sales, then click on Invoices.
- In the Invoices list, click on the (+) Button and then on New Document.
- Choose the customer, currency, issued and expiration dates, the document’s status, and the employee or salesperson.
- In the Details section, there are 4 tabs: Content, Logistics, Terms, and Files.
When we choose a customer, Cashflow automatically brings all his individual and group settings to the document.
 Document Status
Draft documents do not post inventory or journal transactions. While documents are on the Draft status, you can edit or delete them without any effects on your bookkeeping records.
Open documents are final and affect inventory, accounting, and tax records. Once the document is in this status, you will no longer be able to edit or delete them; however, you could void them if necessary.
If you choose a foreign currency, a field will appear to set the currency rate. The currency rate is set automatically, but you can change this if you like. If you haven’t set additional currencies, you can go to Settings > Modules > Accounting > Multi-currencies.
Content Tab – Invoice Items
- Click on the Content Tab,
- Choose the Item (Product or Service) and set the quantity. The description, price, and tax will be filled automatically.
- To add new items, click on the (+ Item) Button below the list and Repeat Step 2.
- To change the order of the items, hold-click the dots icon, drag up or down, and drop it in the order you wish to.
- To remove an item from the list, click on the trash can icon on the right.
Quick Note: Keep in mind that if you work with price lists, the item price will depend on the price list defined to the customer or the group this customer belongs to.
Applying Sales Discounts
To apply sales discounts,
- Click on Discount in the invoice total section.
- Choose Percent (%) or Fixed Amount ($) from the options list.
- Click on the discount field and type in the percent or amount.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
Quick Note: To change the discount type, click on “Discount” and choose Percent (%) or Fixed Amount ($) from the discount type options list.
When choosing a discount type, a percent (%) or an amount ($) sign is added to the Discount label depending on which type you selected.
Adding Additional Charges
To add additional charges to an invoice,
- Click on the (+) Button,
- Choose the Category from the list,
- Set the Amount.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
Additional charges are charges that are not part of the sale, like shipping and handling.
Since these additional charges are transferred to your customer and not considered income or part of your cost of goods sold (COGS), they are not included in the tax calculation.
We can add additional charge categories by going to Settings > Modules > Sales > Additional Charges.
Setting shipping and billing address
To set the shipping type, billing, and shipping addresses,
- Click on the Logistics Tab.
- Set Shipping Type, select Shipping Address and Billing Address.
We can add our shipping types and providers by going to Setting > Modules > Inventory > Shipping Types. There you can add, for example, FedEx, FedEx Overnight, USPS, UPS, and any other you wish to add.
The billing and shipping address come from the customer addresses in the customer form. If you need to add a new address, go to Masters > Customers, edit the customers and add the new address in the address tab.
To set the payment terms,
- Click on the Terms Tab.
- Select the Payment Terms.
- Optionally set any payment Notes.
Uploading and attaching files
To upload and attach any supporting files,
- Click on the Files Tab.
- Click on the browse button.
- Select the files to upload and click on Open.
- Once done, click on Close.
These files will be attached to the document and stored in the cloud. You can view all uploaded documents by going to Tools > Files on the main menu.
Once you’ve completed creating the invoice, click on Save.
Invoice Actions Menu
To view the available actions,
In the Invoice list, click con the Action Menu for any invoice.
- Preview: Opens a printable version of the document.
- Duplicate: Makes a duplicate copy of the document.
- Receive payment: Opens a new income receipt for this invoice.
- Apply advance: Allows to apply a customer advance payment to this invoice.
- Credit Note: Create a credit note from this document.
- Upload File: Option to upload and attach a file.
- History: Displays the transaction history log.
- Copy to dispatch: Copies the invoice information to an inventory dispatch for delivery.
- Audit: Displays a list of changes made to the document.
- Send email: Opens a window to send an email with a PDF version of the document.
- Void document: Changes the document’s status to void.
Note: These action are displayed depending on the document status. If the document is in the Draft status, none of the transaction options will be available.