Customer groups allow us to set shared common settings for different types of customer or customer segments. Although you can define each individual customer’s settings, it’ll be much faster to apply settings by groups.
Adding customer groups
To add a new customer group,
Adding a customer group
- In the main menu, go to Masters, then click on Masters Groups.
- In the Masters’ group list, click on the (+) Button.
- Choose customer in the Type field
- Complete the general information section.
When choosing Customers in the group type field, the system will enable features related to customers like Currency, Sales, Inventory, and Tax.
- Choose the currency, the ledger account, and set if this is the default currency for this customer group.
In the Ledger Account field choose the accounts receivable ledger account for the selected currency. All receivable transactions for this currency will post a journal entry to this account.
Important: If you can’t find an account receivable ledger account for a particular currency, you can always create it by going to Accounting > Chart of Accounts in the main menu.
The Primary currency will be selected by default in all sales documents for customers in this group.
To set sales terms for this customer group,
- Click on the Sales Tab
- Choose a Price List, Discount Priority, Payment Terms.
- Choose a Bill Reminder profile.
- if you allow credit to these customers, enable the Credit Limit, set a Limit Amount and set the Approval Date.
Bill Reminder profiles are automated emails sent to customers with pending invoices. You can define and send a email reminder every 7 days after the invoice became outstanding. You can create reminder profiles by going to Settings > Modules > Sales > Billing Reminder.
To set inventory terms to customers in this group,
- Click on the Inventory Tab
- Enable Partial Deliveries if required.
- Choose the Delivery Priority.
 Partial Deliveries define whether the customer will or will no accept partial deliveries of his orders. This is particularly useful when there are big orders and no capacity to fulfill them completely with available stock. You can agree with your customers to fulfill those orders with partial deliveries.
 Delivery Priority sets the order in which deliveries are handled for this group. An example of this is Amazon Prime, which offers one or two-day delivery to its premium customers, but standard shipping to its regular customers.
To set tax information for these customers,
- Click on the Tax Tab
- Set the Tax Information.
Once we complete all relevant fields, we click on Save.
Important: The settings defined at a customer level overwrite the inherited settings of his group. For example, let’s say you defined a particular payment term for the group but need to change it in a particular customer; you can edit the customer and set his new term. This will overwrite the inherited settings of his groups.
Updating Customer Groups
To update a customer group,
Update customer group
- In the Masters’ group list,
- Click on the Action menu and click on the Edit option.
- Update any necessary group information.
- Click on Save.
Deleting customer groups
To delete a customer group,
Deleting a customer group
- In the Masters’ group list,
- Click on the Action menu and click on the Delete option.
- A confirmation dialog box will appear,
- To complete, click Continue.
If can’t see the Delete option, this is because Cashflow only allows you to delete customer groups that do not have customers in it. To delete a group with customers, move those customers to another group first and then try deleting the group.